At A Glance
Here at Wakefield School, students discover a love of learning along with genuine care for the world around them. Our students are the capable, ethical, articulate leaders ready to take on the world.
- Our History
- School Accreditation and Associations
- Wakefield Scholarship Opportunities
- College Matriculation
- The Arts
- Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment Offerings
- 1972: Wakefield Country Day School opens in Huntly, Va.
- 1980: First class graduates; Wakefield Courtesies written.
- 1982: Wakefield School is first used as new, official school name. Senior thesis established.
- 1985: Gymnasium, library, science classrooms completed.
- 1990: Traditionally structured, independent school board of trustees assumes governance and stewardship of Wakefield School.
- 1994: New campus purchased in The Plains.
- 1996: First phase of new campus completed; Wakefield School moves to The Plains.
- 1999: Upper School building added.
- 2001: Wakefield earns accreditation by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
- 2002: Arts and Music Building added.
- 2004: Upper gym added, as well as new fields, tennis courts, and infrastructure.
- 2006: Science and Technology building added; 13 additional acres donated to Wakefield.
- 2008: Wireless campus completed with technology template for all classrooms.
- 2010: Squash facility opened on a local farm. Golf practice facility opened.
- 2011: VAIS renewal of accreditation received.
- 2012: 33rd class graduated from Wakefield School; largest graduating class in history (40)
- 2016: New Squash facility opened on campus
- 2017: Society of leadership and Engagement Program initiated; Squash team #1 nationwide
- 2018: Mrs. Ashley Harper inducted as Head of school
- 2020: Nationwide shutdown of all school due to Covid; LS/MS remote learning; US in person
- 2021: Wakefield receives nationwide recognition for educational excellence during pandemic and receives a prestigious Edward E. Ford Foundation grant to support the Capital Campaign for The George L. Ohrstrom Jr. Theater & Auditorium. VAIS renewal accreditation received
- 2022: Wakefield starts 50th year with 400 students – a ten year high
Wakefield School is accredited by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
Founded in 1973, VAIS is the leader in advancing and advocating for independent school education in Virginia. The VAIS accreditation program is one of a select few recognized at the international level through the International Council Advancing Independent School Accreditation (ICAISA). VAIS also is recognized and approved by the Virginia Board of Education through the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE).
Additional memberships include The College Board, the National Honor Society, the National Junior Honor Society, the Emerging Scholars Program, and the Secondary School Admission Test Board.
Outstanding students entering 9th-grade are eligible to apply for the Archwood Scholarship. The Archwood Scholarship is awarded every year to a new student with a demonstrated commitment to engagement inside and outside the classroom. That engagement might take any variety of forms; such as a deep interest in one or more academic subjects or involvement in sports, the arts, or community service.
The scholarship provides an annual award of 50% the tuition for the four years of Upper School, provided the recipient continues to live up to the values that characterize an archwood scholar. Those values include a passion for curiosity, an appreciation for scholarship, and a commitment to excellence.
2022 Graduating Class Statistics
100% college acceptance
92% took three or more years of a lab science
U.S News and World Report Best Colleges (2022) Rankings: Out of 32 students graduating in 2022, 22 (69%) will attend institutions ranked in the Best National Universities category, 1 (3%) in the Best National Liberal Arts category, and 4 (13%) in the Best Regional Universities category
19 (59%) seniors received at least one merit or academic scholarship
Over $2 million was awarded in scholarships or merit aid
Graduates reported an overall happiness rate of 9 with the college they will be attending
Wakefield School Class of 2022 College Acceptances
Appalachian State University (2)
Arizona State University
Christopher Newport University (12)
Coastal Carolina University
College of Charleston
College of the Holy Cross
East Carolina University
Elon University (3)
Florida State University
Franklin & Marshall College
George Mason University (7)
The George Washington University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Gettysburg College (3)
High Point University
James Madison University (9)
Johns Hopkins University
Maine Maritime Academy
Mary Baldwin University
Northern Virginia Community College (2)
Old Dominion University (3)
Pennsylvania State University (3)
Purdue University-Main Campus (3)
Radford University (2)
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Stony Brook University
Texas Tech University
University of California, Merced
University of California, Riverside
University of California, San Diego (2)
University of California, Santa Barbara (2)
University of California, Santa Cruz
University of Florida
University of Kentucky
University of Maine
University of Maryland, College Park (2)
University of Mary Washington (4)
University of Mississippi
University of North Carolina-Charlotte
University of North Carolina-Wilmington (2)
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of South Carolina
University of South Florida-Main Campus
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
University of Virginia (4)
Virginia Commonwealth University (4)
Virginia Tech (3)
Virginia Wesleyan University
William Paterson University of NJ
Wakefield’s Arts Department supports a wide range of artistic endeavors from acting to photography to music theory. Each year there are a number of traditional performing arts productions including:
Upper and Middle School Fall Play
Middle School Music Holiday Concert
Talent Show/Holiday Lasagna Dinner
Lower School Arts Festival
3rd Grade Musical
All School Winter Musical
4th Grade Immigration Heritage Music Concert
Upper and Middle School Spring Play
Middle School Music Competition and Festival
5th grade Poetry Tea
Wakefield is a member of the International Thespian Society.
Wakefield School is a member of the Greater Piedmont Athletic Conference, The International Equestrian Association, and the Cavalier Athletic Conference. We offer 15 varsity sports in the Upper School and 15 sports in the Middle School. 85% of our Upper School students choose to participate in a sport.